Friday, October 16, 2009

The Bridge


I'm in print.

Beaver print.

During our first week here, I noticed a local publication called The Bridge proudly displayed at a few of my favorite Beaver hang outs. Namely, the library, Cafe Kolache, and Coffee Buzz. The lead article was of particular interest to me as it celebrated the joys of walking about town. The newbie that I was (am?) was already toting Beaver as being a "walking town", and this article, written in a style that seemed familiar to my own, only added to my excitement, for it validated my own sentiments about Beaver. More so, it revealed that here, in Beaver, there was a publication that could possibly serve as an outlet for my typed dribble.

It took me a few weeks to both gather the nerve and edit a piece from my blog in order to submit it to the editor. It was accepted.

What? Really?

Many thanks to the editors of The Bridge, whose mission statement reads: to help improve things a bit by providing fresh ideas, promoting cultural and environmental awareness, and by stimulating dialogue between neighbors and residents.

I've been invited to become a regular writer for The Bridge. My pieces will most likely be centered around the theme of "new girl in town".

What's funny is that I've not even seen the recent edition yet. However, I just sent a friend of mine, who's in town from Chicago, over to Kolache for some coffeehouse time - Beaver style. He's been given instructions to snag a few copies.

I'm thinking that Beaver print looks quite flattering on me.

8 comments:

Valentine J. Brkich said...

Thanks for the post, Joline!

BTW...did you know that that train bridge in your photo will be 100 years old next May? I actually wrote a little history booklet on it.

That's my boring history fact for the day!

Unknown said...

Joline, that's fantastic!! Congratulations!!

Sue said...

Congratulations! I can now say that I am friends with a published author! Can't wait to read your article.

Debbie Legg said...

Congrats, Joline! That is so terrific! :)

Joline said...

Thanks, all. Of course, I read the piece today and think of all the changes and rewrites I would have done . . .

Just like when I was acting. I'd leave an audition and redo all of it in the rearview mirror of my car. At stopsigns and lights, of course.

Always thinking . . . how could that have been better?

Unknown said...

LOVE IT! So excited for you. Can't wait to read it.

Dean said...

I read your article in The Bridge today, so I checked out your blog. I've been living in Beaver county for just over a year now, and I too am a fan. I'm glad that you're liking it so far. If you haven't yet, make sure you get over to Uncommon Grounds in Aliquippa. You seem like the kind of person who would like the place and what they have going on there.

Joline said...

Thanks, Dean! I've been meeting more and more "newbies" everyday. Yes, I've heard of Uncommon Ground and will most definitely check it out!

Thanks for reading.