Friday, April 3, 2009

Lamentations 3: 22-24

Lamentations 3: 22-24 (New Living Bible)

22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
His mercies never cease.
23 Great is his faithfulness;
his mercies begin afresh each morning.
24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;
therefore, I will hope in him!”

I was pleasantly awaken this morning by, nope, not George, but Harper with a hot cup of morning joe in her hand (interestingly enough in my "No Whining" mug). It was early. Earlier than usual for her to even be up. She was dressed.

I heard Zane up as well. He was still in pj's, but had apparently discarded his nighttime pull-up, having changed into clean underwear on his own, and had already eaten breakfast.

Zane entered with a cheerful, "Good morning, Mommy. I am the Captain of Coffee and Harper is my helper. She made it."

It was true.

As George recounts it, the kids woke very early. George was already up when Harper came downstairs dressed and eagerly offering to make breakfast for everyone.

"Dad, I got breakfast. You can go walk the dog."

She heated up Zane's pancakes (we make a huge stack at the beginning of the week and freeze them), and popped some bagels in the toaster while George walked the dog down to 7-11 to pick up some coffee. He returned home to see Harper serving Zane his breakfast.

She then got the coffee going, properly doctored the morning elixir, and delivered it to me.

It wasn't even 7:30.

George said he was so overwhelmed by the actions and countenance of Harper and Zane this morning that he walked the dog in tears. We are blessed beyond measure. We know this.

We. Absolutely. Know. This.

The remainder of the morning included:
  • Secretly watching Zane attempt to make his bed
  • Harper telling me to step away from her dirty clothes as SHE would bring them to the hamper
  • A snuggle-fest with George and Zane on the bed during which Zane used all his "love talk" to woo me
  • Harper helping me make the bed
  • And many other "blinks" of God's goodness that I am unable to even recount, as there seemed to be such a multitude of "mercy moments" buzzing and whizzing through the climate of our home at such a high rate of speed that I couldn't possibly get them all recorded
It is Friday. Better know as "Joline has the entire morning to herself" day. It is 9:30. I am relishing the mercies God poured out this morning, am looking forward to a salon visit for a new sassy, snappy do, am surrounded by an incredibly clean and easily kept home (after weeks of doing so, it becomes a habit), and am breathing a bit more freely this morning.

God can use anyone to minister.

Thanks, Lord, for using my children.

Additional thought . . . after experiencing this incredible morning, I thought it would be interesting to go back in time. Here is my post from April 3, 2008. Quite a different morning this year.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

What a beautiful and wonderful morning! Our children are a window to God.

G- said...

I am not ashamed to say it, I wept while walking the dog, and just repeated to myself " God, you are so good to us."

I woke up at 5:30AM with a heavey heart, began my usual routine and by 6:30 was "interrupted" in my prayer time by a little voice, which turned out to be God answering my prayer, and the morning just got more amazing every moment after that.

New mercies indeed.

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

So sweet! It's great that you are blogging about it so that the kids can look back on it over and over again, and see how special they truly are!