Wednesday, July 15, 2009

To Lorelai, or Not To Lorelai

"You are the Lorelai Gilmore of Beaver."

Well, I'll be.

My husband sure knows how to compliment a girl.

I won't go into my gushy, crushy, love of Gilmore Girls - although if you want to purchase me the entire series for my 40th birthday I'll also love you forever.

It's no secret that I've got it bad for this show.

My claim to non-fame? I once had a Marshall Field's commercial air during an episode. So, now I can say I shared a time slot with Lauren Graham and the cast.

Anyhoo, as I'm just going on and on here . . . like a certain coffee guzzlin' single mama I know . . .

I took in my first Beaver town meeting last night. The town President, (no his name isn't Taylor, nor is he called the Town Selectman), also served as the attorney for my real estate closing, and was none too popular last night due to some heavy town stuff going down surrounding a feasibility study, the community pool, and the possibility (POSSIBILITY people - let's not tar and feather the council just yet) of a new recreational facility. Add to the brewing pot the alleged "witch hunt" between a council member and a city worker, and you've got yourself good old fashioned small town drama.

For the record, even though I may sound trite in my description of the evening, I am against the recreational facility, but the pool does need a drastic overhaul. As for the other issue between the council and city workers? I can't really weigh in - I've only lived here a month.

During the meeting, I did my best not to channel Lorelai and refrained from randomly yelling, "I object!" Nor did I keep up a continual banter of humorous quips throughout the meeting, opting rather to take a low profile.

I won't pull out my inner Lorelai until next month's meeting.

Although in order for me to really get get into character, Luke's, or, in this case either Cafe Kolache or the Towne Square Restaurant, are going to have to stay open a bit later to provide me with the fuel to take on the council in true Lorelai fashion. As Starbuck's just doesn't have the Luke's vibe.

I need coffee. Extra strong. Double cafe. Triple cafe. No, forget the cafe. Throw in the whole cow and serve it to this man right here! What's wrong with you?
Lorelai Gilmore, Season One, "Love, Daisies, and Troubadours"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Gilmore Girls too. It is one of the best shows. EL

Unknown said...

LOL. Some of my best nnline friends were made discussing Gilmore Girls. I am actually a member of an online message board called Coffee at Luke's...it's dedicated to all things Gilmore! :) Love it!!!

So we have GG AND MK in common! Whoda thunk?!