Thursday, January 31, 2008

Psalm 90: 14-17

I prayed with a very wise woman today.

14 O satisfy us in the morning with Your kindness,
That we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
15 Make us glad according to the days You have afflicted us,
And the years we have seen evil.
16 Let Your work appear to Your servants
And Your majesty to their children.
17 Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us;
And confirm for us the work of our hands;
Yes, confirm the work of our hands.

This Psalm was our guide. As we prayed through these words, specifically for Harper, I was struck with several thoughts:

Mornings are the most difficult for her. Thus, vs. 14 is a very appropriate and powerful scripture to pray for her - that she would be satified in the morning with God's unfailing love, and that she may not only feel joy, but that she would also communicate joy and gladness.

Affliction. Harper does indeed have an affliction. This affliction may disappear at some point. Or, it may not. And while all the words that flow from my mouth in an attempt to help her seem to bounce back without making an impact, it is GOD who can reach a depth within her which I can not. And it is therefore GOD who can make her glad in proportion to the affliction for which she experiences. In other words, simply put: I can't fix this. I can be a part of the healing process, but I can not ultimately fix this. I am not the GIVER of joy. I can make a choice as to whether I will bless or curse the situation, and I can make a choice as to how I will love, support, encourage, defend, build up, nuture, and raise Harper, but ultimately, GOD IS THE GIVER OF HER JOY!

Verse 15 says "Make us glad according to the days You have afflicted us". Do I believe that God has afflicted Harper? Well, He did create her. However, I refuse to look at affliction, whether physical or emotional, as something that is less than God's best - otherwise, we would be discounting the worth of many, many people! Harper's affliction, while difficult right now, as we don't have all the coping strategies in place, has also developed within her a very sensitive spirit towards others. She cares deeply for other people. If this is one of the ways in which her "affliction" manifests itself, then there is good within her affliction.

Verse 17 is more of a prayer for me and George - that God would confirm for us the work of our hands that we are doing her behalf. I pray that God would lead us on a straight path to find help for Harper.

These are just a few thoughts. I left my time of prayer feeling so very supported and so very thankful for scripture, a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

I left convicted about my response to situations that arise . . . do I bless or curse?

Gotta go chew on all of this.

No comments: