Thursday, March 27, 2008

New Genre


Harper has taken quite a liking to reading biographies. I couldn't be more pleased! Last night alone, she read us books about Harriett Tubman and Rosa Parks.

And while the story I read had a mythical quality to it, we did learn that St. George the dragon slayer did actually exist although details about the life of George the Saint are few and uncertain.

Even so, she enjoyed reading about him, as well as Harriott and Rosa. In fact, she has already chosen her next biographies: Martin Luther King, Jr. and Helen Keller.

Way to go girl!

Zane, however, continues his quest to read every version of Jack and the Beanstalk known to man. He ventured into the world of The Three Little Pigs for like a day, but now is back to Jack, the beanstalk, and the the Giant. He and Harper have even been acting out some scenes from the story. So, if Jack and the Beanstalk is going to continue to promote reading and creative play in this house, then I'm all over it.

I wish I'd recorded myself singing my own version of Jack and the Beanstalk story the other day over dinner - complete improv. I couldn't stop myself.

It sounded like a musical theater song on crack.

No comments: