Friday, January 23, 2009

The Harvest is Bountiful

Oh. My. Word.

Today I received my first order of vegetables and fruit from Timber Creek Farms. Having made a deal with my girlfriend to split the Farmer's Market Box every week, I was excited to meet up with her to divvy up the goods.

Oh. My. Word.

Let me try and list the inventory of fresh, organic, vegetables and fruits now sitting in my kitchen. Keep in mind that these items are organic, and that the total cost for these items came to $25.00.

Bananas (5)
Apples (6)
Pears (3)
Oranges. HUGE. Oranges (10)
Full head of romaine
Full head of green leaf lettuce
Brussels Sprouts (before you hurl, I have an incredible recipe coming my way for these)
Celery (Zane loved this with peanut butter and nutella today)
Head of cauliflower
Tomatoes (2)
Garlic
Onion

I can see needing more apples, as Harper is an apple fanatic. And she also loves cuties - so I'll have to sell her on oranges. I may have to pick up some baby carrots also, although Zane loved the celery today. Time to try new things, right?

Compare the above to what I purchased last week for $25.70.

Grapes (2.67 lb. Half of which went sour because we didn't eat them fast enough)
Red Bell Pepper (2)
Box of Cuties
Baby Carrots (2 lb bag)
Granny Smith apples, organic (one bag)

Quite interesting . . .

And it's not even Thrifty Thursday!

Frugal Friday?

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love, love, love brussels sprouts. Here's our new favorite comfort food recipe. If you're feeling especially luxurious, toss in a little crumbled bacon.

http://orangette.blogspot.com/2007/11/refilled-and-refueled.html

Christi @ Writing the Waves said...

Yea for you! That's some good bargain shopping! :)

Joline said...

Tiffany, now I have two great recipes for brussels sprouts . . . what to do? What to do?

Christi, yes, doing the price comparison revealed very interesting results!