Tuesday, September 6, 2011

SCENE: Summer Makes Its Exit at Lakehouse Lodge

This is where we officially ended our summer.

Remember that list I made back in May?

Well, I'm happy to say that we checked off everything on that list, except for the laser tag, New York City, and seeing "The Wizard of Oz" on the big screen.

No worries. Laser Tag will be saved  for a cold, rainy day, New York is still there having been spared by Irene, and we can watch "The Wizard of Oz" anytime.

The summer was, in a word, exhausting.

I mean, look at that list. We were constantly on the go. The kids really enjoyed themselves, but it wasn't relaxing. At all. Fulfilling? Yes. Tiring? Completely.

This weekend, however, we breathed.

Enter Michelle and Jason's wedding.

Who would have thought that being a bridesmaid in a wedding would be a vacation?

Michelle and Jason know how to show their guests a great time. The Lighthouse Lodge in Monticello, Indiana was BEAUTIFUL. The cottage where we stayed along with two friends from our Chicago days, perfect. The breakfasts were delicious. The ability to just HANG OUT AND TALK with forever friends was such a gift. We enjoyed time with old friends. We went "American picking". We got to know Tommy and Nic. I worked out on the the lawn in front of the lake. Bonfire. Boat ride. Cornfields. Lots of cornfields. Falling asleep with my book on my head because I just couldn't keep my eyes open long enough to read. Having my son blow me a kiss while I stood up in the wedding of one of my closest friends. And I mean close. We've really been through A LOT - no surface crap here.

Such fun. The highlight of my summer.

Fall came overnight. While we sweltered in 98 degree heat during the ceremony, the next morning had us in the 70's and today, the 60's. I am now heading into the final three weeks of rehearsal for my next gig, and then . . . would you believe nothing is planned?

Farewell summer. You were busy. You were hot. I got a deck out of your season, but now the temps are colder, and I'll need a fire pit in order to hang with you in the evenings. Next year, I hope to meet you earlier in the season - perhaps with a week at a calm lake somewhere with the family - and maybe another reunion of friends, taking walks, exploring, and not having to be anywhere specific.

My kids - they have some great memories from our adventures. And so do I.

But, after all the traveling, and the kids being here, or being there, I needed a long nap.

This weekend seemed to help much of the fatigue.

Perfect exit.

Congratulations Michelle and Jason. Thank you for gifting US with the best weekend of the summer!

No comments: