Monday, January 24, 2011

I Left My Heart . . .

I left my heart on the floor of the Coffee Buzz where I gathered with my church family to watch the Steelers/Jets game last night.

I grew up in a Redskin family.

I remember sitting in the family room on Sundays listening to my entire family cheer while I sat there - uninterested.  Although I DID see the game where Theisman broke his leg.  That was way gross.

So, now, here I am.  In Steeler country.  With a 10 year old Steeler-fanatic for a daughter.  A child who plans her Steeler clothing for each Sunday, and made it clear that she needed her jeggings and Polamalu jersey clean and ready for game day yesterday.

A daughter who dressed in full Steeler fashion for her birthday party (as did other girls).

A daughter who took the front and center seat at a Steeler-viewing party last night, terrible towel and bad-call brick by her side.

I, on the other hand, arrived at the party having NEVER watched a full game all the way through.  Yes, I did watch the Steelers win the Superbowl back in 2008 - spurts of it anyway.  We had just told the children we were moving to Pittsburgh, and so I thought it only proper we watch the game.  I'll admit - I was VERY impressed.  Wow'd.

But, no, I've never continued the practice of sitting and watching an entire game.

Until last night.

Oh. My. Word.  How do you people do it?

My heart was racing.  I was up and down from my chair.  I was shh'ing children.  I was yelling about some play NOT being pass interference and that the ref better not call it that way (how'd I even know about pass interference?).  I watched all of it.  The second half about killed me.

I simply can not live this way.  I was anxious. Tense. Impatient. Ready to fly off the handle.

All the traits I've worked so darn hard to decrease over these past 1.5 years flew right back to the surface during the AFC Championship game.

As I told George, "Ok, I'll do the playoffs.  I'll even watch the Superbowl.  But I can NOT do a whole season of this.  No way.  It will kill me."

So, I'll continue to be that person who wanders in and out of the room during a Steelers game.

Except for the Superbowl.

I'll be front and center.

Don't get in my way.

1 comment:

Daniel Dydek said...

It happens to the best, Jo. It happened to me in the Army, and again with the Pens. You think football is heart-stopping? Don't watch hockey.