Sunday, December 4, 2011

"You're always on your phone."

Has anyone ever said this to you?

I've heard it.

Today, I overheard someone direct that same statement towards someone else.

I chuckled.

The recipient also chuckled as she responded to her accuser. (Which is what I TRY to do when that statement is directed towards me - only, I'm getting tired of hearing it.)

See, only a moment before, we had both been reading the Bible on our phones. Yes. There's an app for that.

I used to carry a really large bag everywhere I went. It contained my planner, address book, and as I try never to go anywhere without a book, a book. Then there was the journal I often carried, and a notepad with a scrawled daily to-do and shopping list.

During college and afterwards, BEFORE cell phones, it was customary to see huge planners: Franklin, DayRunner, DayTimer, FiloFax, sitting out on tables when people were meeting. I worked at a college after I graduated, and when I met with a faculty member, a student, or sat in on a meeting of any kind, out would come the huge planner. See that pic up there?

THAT is now the planner.

My phone has taken the place of my beloved Planner Pad.

My to-do list. My calendar. My husband's calendar. My kid's schedules. Address book, Bible app, fitness/nutrition diary, my online Team Beachbody office, my shopping list, my bank. I keep a list of books I'd like to read. I even read the newspaper. The alarm on my phone reminds me of appointments before they occur. I barely use the actual main feature of the device.

The phone part.

I'm not exactly sure what people are insinuating when they say, "You are always on your phone." Perhaps there is the misunderstanding that the minute one looks down at their phone they are automatically communicating with someone else. I know there is also a lot of talk about "disconnecting" from electronics - taking an electronic-fast of sorts, but as an organized person, and the keeper of our family schedule (I know that sounds like a pat on my own back, but this does happen to be an area in which I've got mad skills. I've kept a planner since my freshman year in college) I'm not sure what would happen if I couldn't check my phone. It's all there. As well as backed-up on my computer.

Trust me. I fought going electronic. And always thought I'd be a paper and pen girl. Forever. I really liked my planner of choice (I've used two different brands) and couldn't imagine ditching the "old-school" way of keeping organized. 2011 marks the first year I've I've gone paperless.

However, I've definitely adapted. It took me all year to do so. Other than taking notes at church or penning my prayers in a bound journal, everything else is organized electronically.

So, if we're talking, and I get an idea for a blog post, or realize I need to pick up an item at the store, or want to jot down a product, movie, book, restaurant, etc. you just happened to mention in our conversation, etc. I will reach for my phone.

No, this doesn't mean I'm checking Facebook or answering a text.

It would be the same as me saying, "Oh! That's cool, I gotta write that down." or "Let me check my calendar."

And, in church, if you see me reach for my phone . . . it's not because I'm planning my week (guess what - I USED to catch myself doing that with a paper calendar . . . haha - so now which one is actually more distracting for me, eh?), but rather, I'm opening my Bible app.

Electronics aren't evil. Yes they can be overused. Of course. But, just like Facebook, let's not jump to a conclusion with one glance.

Where I used to jot things down, I now type them in.

How do you stay organized?

Paper or electronic device?











No comments: